The Library of Parliament is a non-partisan organization providing stimulating and rewarding work. We recognize that our employees are our most important asset and, as such, we offer excellent benefits, four weeks’ vacation leave, learning opportunities to support professional and career development, competitive salaries, and more!
Our Parliamentary Information and Research Service (PIRS) provides high-quality, substantive and timely information, research and analysis to parliamentary committees, individual senators and members of the House of Commons, and parliamentary associations/delegations. If you want to contribute to parliamentary work in a dynamic and multidisciplinary environment, then PIRS provides an unparalleled opportunity to apply your education and knowledge in a wide range of public policy and legal areas.
PIRS is currently seeking Research Assistants to provide research and analysis in direct support of parliamentarians and their staff by responding to their queries. Research Assistants also support the work of Analysts, Librarians, other Research Assistants and other individuals across PIRS and the Library.
The Library of Parliment promotes equity, diversity and inclusion in its workplace and encourages applications from all qualified individuals.
Parliamentary Information and Research Service
Legal and Social Affairs
Staffing for Determinate and Indeterminate Positions
Bilingual Imperative (CBC)
For the purposes of this selection process, the following knowledge criteria will be evaluated:
• Knowledge of the Parliament of Canada, the federal government and current affairs
• Knowledge of one or more fields under the Parliament of Canada’s jurisdiction
To be considered, candidates must have:
• A bachelor’s degree in a field related to the position
• Experience preparing written material, including reports, publications, briefing notes, correspondence or presentations
Candidates retained in this selection process will be required to obtain:
• A successful second-language evaluation (Bilingual staffing – imperative: CBC/CBC)
• A successful pre-employment screening
• This selection process is open to the public and to employees of the Library of Parliament, the Senate, the House of Commons, the Office of the Senate Ethics Officer, the Office of the Conflict of Interest and Ethics Commissioner, the Parliamentary Protective Service, and the Office of the Parliamentary Budget Officer.
• This selection process will include a second-language evaluation, a written exam and an interview. The interview will consist of behavioural, situational and knowledge-based questions. Candidates will be required to pass each stage in order to move to the next stage of the selection process.
• Qualified candidates from this selection process may be considered for determinate or indeterminate positions at the Library of Parliament that require similar knowledge and/or competencies.
• Education and experience requirements will be used to determine which candidates will be asked to participate in the next stage of the selection process.
• Satisfactory references and proof of education are essential conditions of appointment.
• Travel and relocation expenses are the responsibility of the candidates.
• The Library of Parliament is committed to employment equity.
Apply no later than August 24, 2018 11:59 PM Eastern Time.
Please quote Staffing Process 18-LOP-76 and send us your C.V., along with a cover letter indicating how you meet each of the education and experience requirements of the position.
Send us your application:
Apply no later than 24 August 2018 – 11:59 p.m. (Eastern Time).
To apply, please send us your curriculum vitae, along with a covering letter indicating how you meet each of the education and experience requirements of the position. Please quote Staffing Process 18-LOP-76 in your documents and, if you apply by email, in the subject line of your email.
Send us your application:
By email: firstname.lastname@example.org
By fax: 613-995-9582
By mail: 50 O’Connor Street Library of Parliament Human Resources Directorate Ottawa, ON K1A 0A9
Questions? Contact Human Resources at 613-617-0943 or email@example.com.