Key Players (both chambers)
Governor General, Speaker of the Senate, senators, Clerk of the Senate, Deputy Clerk of the Senate, Usher of the Black Rod, Mace Bearer, Speaker of the House of Commons, Speaker's Page, members of the House of Commons, Sergeant-at-Arms, Clerk of the House of Commons, Deputy Clerk of the House of Commons, members of the public (as observers)
- [Stand.] "Is it your pleasure, Honourable Senators, that the Senate do now adjourn during pleasure to await the arrival of the Honourable Deputy of Her/His Excellency the Governor General?"
[The Speaker pauses a moment in case a senator should have some business to bring before the Senate. If no business if forthcoming, the Speaker bows to the right and to the left, descends from the dais, all rise, bows to the Chair and proceeds to a seat to the right of the Throne, to await the arrival of the Honourable Deputy of His/Her Excellency the Governor General.]
[The Honourable Deputy of His/Her Excellency the Governor General arrives.]
- Mace Bearer
- "À l'ordre – Order."
- [All stand.]
- Governor General
- "Veuillez vous asseoir – Pray be seated."
- [All sit.]
- [Rise and bow.]
- Huissier du bâton noir
- "Rendez-vous à la chambre des communes et informez-la que c'est le désir de l'honorable suppléant de Son Excellence le Gouverneur général que les communes se rendent immédiatement auprès de lui à la Chambre du Sénat."
- Usher of the Black Rod
- "You will proceed to the House of Commons and acquaint that House that it is the desire of the Honourable Deputy of His/Her Excellency the Governor General that they attend Him/Her immediately in the Senate Chamber."
[The Usher of the Black Rod proceeds to the House of Commons.]
[The members of the House of Commons arrive, preceded by the Black Rod. The Black Rod moves to a position to the left of the Throne.]
- Black Rod
- "À l'ordre – Order."
- Deputy Clerk
- [Rise.] "Le Sénat et la Chambre des communes ont adopté les projets de loi suivants qu'ils prient humblement Votre Honneur de bien vouloir sanctionner."
- [Read title of bills in French.]
- "May it please Your Honour: The Senate and the House of Commons have passed the following bills, to which they humbly request Your Honour's Assent."
- [Read title of bills in English.]
[The Deputy Clerk bows and resumes seat.]
- [Rise and hold bills aloft.] "In Her Majesty's name, the Honourable Deputy of His/Her Excellency the Governor General doth Assent to these bills."
- "Au nom de Sa Majesté, l'honorable suppléant de Son Excellence le Gouverneur général sanctionne ces Projets de loi." [Bow and resumes seat.]
[The House of Commons withdraws.]
[The Black Rod moves to a position in front of the Honourable Deputy of His/Her Excellency the Governor General and bows. All stand. The procession then proceeds out of the Chamber.]
[The Speaker moves to the chair at the foot of the Throne, bows to the chair, mounts the dais, and bows to the right and left.]
- "La séance est reprise – The sitting is resumed." [Sit.]
[If there is no further business before the Senate, the Speaker adjourns the House.]
- "Since the proceedings on royal assent are now completed, pursuant to the order adopted yesterday, I declare the Senate continued until (date) at (time). The Senate so decreeing. "